Pin Prick Portrait Development 15: Embroidery Thread

Embroidery thread with one coat of PVA - too floppy

Embroidery thread with two coats of PVA, laid flat on table.  Photo taken from side angle.

Laid flat on table


Pinned to window, photograph taken from right hand side

Pinned to window, photograph taken from slightly below


I wanted to investigate whether the embroidery thread could be manipulated to stand out from the paper, to create a 3D or relief quality.  I wanted to stiffen the thread without changing the thickness.  I considered twisting the thread around thin wire, but the wire was visible in parts and created a greater thickness which distorted the holes.  Instead I decided to coat the threads with PVA glue which sets fairly hard, but which dries clear.  One coat created some stiffness, but not enough to hold the thread straight out.  Two coats worked better, although I had to trim the length.  

I think this has been a successful piece and I would like to experiment further with this idea, perhaps trying it with tin foil and with pattern / texture.  However, with regard to the coming online exhibition I have reservations about using this idea for a final piece because of the difficulty I had effectively photographing it to show the full effect of the pin pricks and the 3D element of the thread.

Comments