Pin Prick Portrait Development 14: Embroidery Thread

Pin pricks into cartridge paper, A6; image taken from photograph

Embroidery thread stitched into eye line, hanging loose front and back; before trimming

Complete from front; laid flat on table

Front; stuck to window (overcast day)


I decided to experiment with a mixed media element added to the pin prick portrait.  I thought that the addition of embroidery thread fitted with the needlework element of the pieces I have been working on and I wanted to reflect my feelings about the current situation.  I decided to create a simplified portrait, using the dark blue thread to give the impression of tears running down the face by leaving the threads long and loose.  In this piece I drew each thread from back to front, leaving equal lengths at both back and front with only the weight of the thread keeping it in place.  When hung in the window the threads on the reverse were visible.



Image taken from same photograph

Pin pricks into cartridge paper, A6; front

Reverse with embroidery thread; laid flat on table.  Individual strands added, knotted at reverse

Front with embroidery thread; laid flat on table

Stuck to window (overcast day)

In the second piece I decided to try fixing the individual threads in place by knotting them at the back.  The reverse now has 'eyelashes' while the threads create a flowing motion from the front.  I think this piece is more successful than the first because the threads stay in place better and the knots give a thicker, more defined line at the lash line. I will investigate this idea further.

Comments