Pin Prick Portrait Development 20: Embroidery Thread

Traced drawing taken from photograph taken at a previous photoshoot

Pin pricks through tracing paper

Pin pricks through cartridge paper (A6) - reverse

Adding stiffened embroidery thread

Complete - face on, flat on table



Side angle

From above

I wanted to continue my experiments with pin prick images combined with embroidery thread, particularly the stiffened thread which had created some successful compositions.  I chose a photo taken at a previous photoshoot showing a more distinctively emotional face than the previous images.  I chose a red thread as symbolic of the anger apparent on her face.  Again I stiffened the thread with two coats of PVA, although as these threads are longer than those used previously I should probably have added a couple more coats.  The threads were knotted behind to hold in place.

I would like to continue with this idea and create a series using a range of different expressions, poses and areas from which the threads issue.

Comments