Pin Prick and Texture Portrait Development 8: Monoprint Composition

Cropped monoprint composition used as basis for this work

Textured wallpaper sample


Cartridge paper, A5. Outline and early stages of pattern seen from reverse laid flat on table

Left hand side complete, seen from front laid flat on table

Complete, laid flat on table

By using single pin pricks I could add density and an element of tonal value to my work, but I wanted to experiment with adding pattern / texture.  I had already done some experiments with adding texture through frottage in my drawings and monoprints, so I decided to try this technique by pin pricking the pattern into the paper.  I had a selection of textured wallpaper samples at home, so I created a rubbing of it onto tracing paper using a soft pencil and then made a further tracing of one of my monoprint compositions.  I used frottaged pattern to infill the outline composition, using varying numbers of pricks to fill the circles in the pattern - this created a floral effect which I think was successful.  I will continue to experiment with this idea.


Testing other textured wallpaper samples for potential use in future work:

I like the seeming randomness of this one.

Not as effective - the pattern is not strong enough


Comments