Pin Prick Portrait Development 16: Frottage

Tracing paper with portrait outline and frottage pattern overlaid onto cartridge paper



Wallpaper sample

Partially completed, pinned to window

Detail

Reverse completed, laid flat on table

Front completed, laid flat on table

Front, pinned to window



I wanted to test whether I could create a portrait without outlining the face, but by using the pattern itself to define the form.  I decided to simplify the image into a simple profile silhouette similar to a Victorian silhouette which I thought would combine well with the floral pattern.  I took a rubbing of the textured wallpaper sample onto tracing paper and added the silhouette profile over the top to that the tracing paper could be taped to the cartridge paper in order to prevent any mark making onto it except the pin pricks.  I will try this technique again at a larger scale and also try it on a tin foil substrate.

Comments

  1. Lovely work, the processes and materials seem perfectly aligned with your project theme.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment