Pin Prick Portait Development 19: Layering

Completed final submission for online exhibition

Large photograph with cut out of smaller photograph place on top

Textured wallpaper sample

Tracing paper with layers of imagery built up from photographs and wallpaper

Using extra strong tin foil which has a honeycomb pattern pre-embossed into it (just visible)

Partially complete outline, shiny side of foil - including my own reflection!


First stage - large profile pin pricked as outline; smaller figure pin pricked with negative space of frottage pattern; dull side of foil laid flat on table

Dull side of foil, pinned to sunny window

Frottage pattern partially complete; dull side of foil laid flat on table

Tracing paper overlay / original drawing

Completed piece - needs a better photograph / camera!


I wanted to experiment with creating layers of imagery and pattern within a composition.  I chose a wallpaper sample which I had previously used made up of circles of varying sizes laid out in a series of geometric patterns.  I had liked the effect created in my previous use of this pattern which took on a floral aspect when multiple pin pricks were applied to the circles.  This created a juxtaposition with the harder lines of the geometric pattern.  I also wanted to work with the negative space of the pattern, creating the circles by filling the areas around them with pin pricks.

In order to highlight each layer of the composition I decided to leave the figure in profile unpatterned, with only the outline and features created in pin pricks.  I also decided to accentuate the way light passes through the pin pricks differently according to which side of the pin prick it passes through so I made the marks from the dull side on the two figures and from the shiny side on the pattern.  This added to the sense of layering by making the central figure appear to stand up from the other patterned elements.  I think the honeycomb pattern already set into the foil adds a further element of texture and pattern to the composition and combines well with the geomentric patterns.

This is the composition I will be entering into the course online exhibition.

Comments