Pin Prick Portrait Development 6: Monoprint Composition

Black and white print out of monoprint composition created previously

Building up the composition using pin pricks from different sides of the paper


Using the tonal values in the black and white copy to decide on the density of mark making

Detail

Complete

I liked this composition and, when converted to a black and white print out, the range of tonal values.  I decided to create a larger version on cartridge paper, using mark making from different directions to enhance the feeling of tonal range, which I think has worked quite successfully.






Same image overlaid on cotton lawn fabric.  Awl used to pierce holes.

Pin pricks seen from front and reverse of fabric



I decided to experiment again with cotton lawn fabric with this composition as I had been disappointed with previous results using this as a substrate.  This time, however, I decided to use an awl to pierce the fabric as I hoped the holes would be bigger and more defined.  This was the case, but the result was still not as successful as I had hoped - I think paper and foil are the better substrates for this technique.



Colour print out of monoprint composition

Tracing of monoprint composition with darker tonal values sketched in


I wanted to create the pin pricks from the reverse of this image so that the light is funnelled through.  In order to do this I had to make a precise tracing so that the image would be perfectly lined up and any pin pricks properly positioned.

Completed colour version laid flat on table

Tracing paper version

Detail (laid flat on table)

Completed version pinned to sunny window

Detail (pinned to sunny window)

Experimenting with different lighting conditions

I wondered what effect would be created by using a pre-coloured substrate as the base for pin pricking areas of tonal value.  I think the effect is subtle, but perhaps not as effective as those created on a plain background.  I used thin printer paper which may have affected the result - perhaps a thicker paper would have given more dramatic results, but my home printer does not work well with heavier paper quality.




Original monoprint with pin prick detail (laid flat on table)

Detail

Pinned to a sunny window

I decided to experiment further with the use of colour substrate and a thicker quality paper so I moved on to use one of the original monoprints I had created.  Again the result is too subtle and adds little to the overall composition.  I think the most successful element here is the patterning added to the hair on the plain white figure.  I will investigate this further.

Comments